Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa Go to Te Ao Hou homepage
No. 67 (July 1969)
– 25 –

Picture icon

Judge and Mrs Jeune receive the staff's parting gift from Mr J. M. McEwen

Chief Judge Retires

Judge G. J. Jeune, Chief Judge of the Maori Land Court, was farewelled at a function in Ngati Poneke Hall in May. He was retiring after 10 years as a Puisne Judge of the Maori Land Court, and five years as Chief Judge.

Tributes were paid by Mr D. J. Stewart, Mr F. B. Katene, Judge A. M. Brook, and Mr J. M. McEwen, Secretary for Maori and Island Affairs. Gifts included a typewriter and an oil painting, a view of Wellington Harbour as seen from Judge and Mrs Juene's Wellington home. As they were intending to retire to Gisborne, this would serve as a reminder of their years in Wellington.

The new Chief Judge is Mr A. G. Todd, who retired from the Law Drafting Office in May 1968, where he had been employed since 1934. During World War II, he served with the New Zealand Division in the Middle East and Italy, first in the Artillery, and then at Divisional Headquarters, where he was extensively employed in court martial work, as counsel for soldiers.

Since the war, Judge Todd has been in charge of the drafting of all legislation concerning Maoris.

Picture icon

The new Chief Judge, Mr A. G. Todd
National Publicity Studios