Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa Go to Te Ao Hou homepage
No. 67 (July 1969)
– 2 –


Rangatahi Hakaraia

Maori woman welfare officer at Taumarunui for the past six years, Mrs Rangatahi Hakaraia died suddenly while on a visit to her mother of Te Puke for Easter. A tangi was held at Ngapuaiwaha pa, Taumarunui and the burial took place at a family cemetery at Manunui.

Mrs Hakaraia was connected on her mother's side with leading families of the Ngati Hauaroa tribe. Through her maternal grandfather she was associated with the Ngati Uenuku tribe of the Ohakune-Raetihi area. She was a direct descendant of Topia Turoa, a high chief of the Whanganui River tribes, who was one of the chiefs originally nominated for the Maori kingship. Turoa, who also had affiliations with the Ngati Tuwharetoa tribe, deferred in favour of another nominee, Te Heu Heu of Ngati Tuwharetoa.

On her father's side, Mrs Hakaraia was connected to the well known Metekingi family of Whanganui. Her great grandfather was an officer in charge of the friendly Maoris who fought against the Hau Hau at the battle of Moutoa Island.

Her late father, Paki Metekingi, was an officer in the Maori Pioneer Battalion in World War One.

Taylor Love

Mr Taylor Avarua Love, died in February, aged 47. For the past four years he had been deputy registrar of the Maori Land Court in the Department of Maori and Island Affairs' Whangarei office, and had become well-known to the people of Northland.

Born in Wellington, he began his public service career there, joining the Native Department in 1940. The same year he joined the Maori Battalion, and served overseas with the 2nd N.Z.E.F. After five years in the army, he returned to his work with the department. In 1957, he was acting private secretary to the Minister of Maori Affairs.

– 3 –

He went to Whangarei on promotion in 1965, and his ability marked him as a man who would have advanced further in his public service career.

Mr Love's body was laid in state at the Whangarei Maori Community Centre, before being flown to Petone, Wellington for burial in the family cemetery. He is survived by his wife, eight children and one grandchild.

Bill Waterhouse

Flight Lieutenant W. A. Waterhouse, the RNZAF's only Maori helicopter pilot, was killed when his helicopter crashed near Canberra, Australia, in January. He was on his way to South Vietnam, one of four New Zealand pilots chosen to serve for 12 months with the RAAF.

Flight Lieutenant Waterhouse was born in Hastings and educated at Hastings Boys' High School. He learnt to fly as a civilian with the Hawke's Bay and East Coast Aero Club, and joined the RNZAF in 1963, serving with No. 5 Squadron in Sunderland flying boats. In 1967 he joined No. 3 Squadron for helicopter training, and was serving with the helicopter support flight at Hobsonville when selected to go to South Vietnam. He was 25 years old.