First Life Member
of Rotorua and District
A prominent Rotorua Maori with varied interests both in sport and community affairs has been awarded the first life membership of the Rotorua and District Justices of the Peace Association. He is Mr Claude Anaru who spends his retirement ‘pottering’ in his attractive streamside garden in Rotorua.
Born in the small East Coast settlement of Raukokore where he went to primary school, Mr Anaru completed his education at Te Aute College. In 1920 he left the college to work in Rotorua. For about 24 years he worked with a firm of solicitors before becoming a legal clerk in the Department of Maori Affairs. Seven years later he became secretary of the Arawa Maori Trust Board, a position he held till his retirement about three years ago.
Mr Anaru was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1947, and Mrs Anaru—whom he married in 1924—was appointed a J.P. about 15 months ago. With Mr C. J. Wright, Mr Anaru was largely responsible for the formation of the Rotorua and District Justices of the Peace Association—formerly incorporated with the Bay of Plenty association.
During his active life in Rotorua, Mr Anaru was one of the first members and secretary of the Waikite Rugby Football Club for about 40 years; was deputy-Mayor for nine years; secretary of the now defunct Ohinemutu Swimming Club; a member of the Rotorua Bowling Club; secretary of the Rotorua Rod and Gun Club; first secretary of the Motutara Golf Club; member of the Rotorua Racing and Trotting Clubs; and for 17 years was a member of the Rotorua High School Board of Governors—the second longest term of service by any member of the board.
In June 1957 Mr Anaru received the O.B.E. for service on local bodies and to the Maori people.
Mr and Mrs Anaru have six children—including two headmasters, a soil conservation officer and two accountants—and 14 grandchildren.
Louis J. Edwards