Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa Go to Te Ao Hou homepage
No. 56 (September 1966)
– 2 –


Mr. T. P. Tawera

Mr Thomas Phillip Tawera died recently in Napier, aged 76, and his body was brought back to the Tanenui-a-Rangi marae in the Nuhaka Valley where a large gathering of friends and relatives met to pay their last respects. Mr Tawera had lived all his life in the district.

During the war years he was in great demand as a musician to raise funds for patriotic purposes. He was employed by the Wairoa County Council for a great number of years until he recently retired at the age of 75 and moved to Napier.

He was twice married. From his former marriage he leaves 11 children and from his later marriage, two. They are: Thomas Robert, Gisborne, Maraea (Mrs Timu), Wairoa, Mary (Mrs Bess), Gisborne, Hine (Mrs Keil), Mahia, Hana (Mrs Deans), Clive, Miriama (Mrs Maaka), Gisborne, Sidney, Wellington, Jacob, Hastings, Martha, Whakatu, Moki (Mrs Akurangi), Whakatu, Molly (Mrs Marsh), Bridge Pa, Kate and Rere, Nuhaka.

The service at the marae was conducted by Bishop G. Pomana and that at the Nuhaka Chapel in the absence of Bishop W. H. Christy overseas was conducted by Mr M. Hapi assisted by Misses P. Edwards of Hastings and D. Smith of Nuhaka. Mr Tawera was buried at the family cemetery in Nuhaka.

Mr. H. S. Ruru

A prominent Maori sportsman in his youth and a former chairman and member of the Wanganui representative Rugby selection panel, Mr Hata Sonny Ruru, of Koromiko Road, Gonville, died suddenly on 25 May, aged 60.

Mr Ruru had made his mark in Wanganui not only as a sportsman but also as a Maori land consultant and interpreter.

In Rugby he represented Hawkes Bay as second five-eighth while still at Te Aute Boys' College. Later as a Maori all Black trialist he was considered in his day to be one of the most brilliant attacking backs in New Zealand.

He was the Maori representative on the Wanganui Rugby Football Union's management committee for five years and served a three-year term as a member of the New Zealand Rugby Union's Maori Advisory Board. He was assistant manager and coach of the Maori All Black team which toured Fiji and Samoa several years ago.

For many years he worked in the Maori land section of the Maori Affairs Department as clerk and interpreter of the Maori Land Court.

He later set up his own business as a land agent in Ridgway Street and was a member of the Real Estate Institute.

Ill-health forced him to retire three years ago.

He is survived by his wife and daughter, Mrs Emma Chote, of Blenheim, and sons. Rangi and Tama-i-Uia, both of Wanganui.

The funeral service was held at St Peter's Anglican Church, Gonville. Mr Ruru was buried in the family burial ground at Taki Pa, Te Karaka, Gisborne.

Mrs M. Bryan

With the death of Mrs Micere Bryan, of Tuapiro, Katikati, the district has lost a respected and admired Maori woman. Her tangi was attended by Maoris and Pakehas from far afield.

Mrs Bryan was born at Bowentown 71 years ago and was the daughter of the late Mr and Mrs W. Witeri. Throughout her life Mrs Bryan was deeply interested in Maori art and culture and became a skilled instructor of arts and crafts. As a member of the Katikati Women's Welfare League, she became a representative in the Maori Labour Party movement, and attended council meetings as a representative of Tauranga and Katikati.

Mrs Bryan married her husband, Mr George Bryan (Maori name Paraeana) at the Judea meeting house, and the couple lived at Katikati. There are 15 children, 60 grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

– 3 –

Mr. D. Mason

Mr. David Mason, a highly respected Maori elder from Takaka died on 5 July in the Nelson Public Hospital, aged 77.

He was a son of Albert Mason of the N'gatitanua tribe whose members fought their way down the coast from Taranaki before New Zealand was colonised.

He represented Nelson district Maoris at many important national gatherings and up until his death was president of the Takaka Tribal Committee.

Mr Mason was keenly interested in the Golden Bay area and in sport, particularly Rugby. He was a New Zealand Rugby League representative and toured Australia in 1910.

He is survived by his wife Ngara—a great grand-daughter of Henare Tekeha, a leading chief of his day—sons Reginald and David and daughter, Mrs A. Myers.

Mr R. P. Turoa

A direct descendant of one of the chiefs who signed the Treaty of Waitangi, Mr Rangi Bishop of Raetihi died recently.

Mr Bishop was related to Pehi Turoa, who was the paramount chief of the Whanganui River from 1815 to 1845.

Pehi's son was Pakore Turoa and his grandson Topia was one of the several New Zealand chiefs who met Queen Victoria when they visited England.

Mr Bishop whose full name was Rangiapohia Pihopa Turoa, played for the Raetihi Rugby Club and was a keen wrestler. He wrestled with Lofty Blomfield and Dave Scarrow in amateur bouts in Raetihi.

He was also a rough rider of note and broke in wild horses. In his younger days, Mr Bishop owned some of the best show jumpers in the country.

Mr. Hoani Tauwhare

Mr Hoani Whitu Whakamaru Rangi Tauwhare, known to his pakeha friends as Tommy George, died at Rapaki on 10 June, 1966, in his 95th year. He was buried at Rapaki on 13 June after a service at the Church there.

He was a direct descendent of Tuhuru, the Ngaitahu warrior chief, conqueror of Westland.

Mr Tauwhare spent his early years at Hokitika and Tuahiwi, and was educated at Tuahiwi and Canterbury schools. He was a very prominent all-round sportsman and a noted rugby player.

After his marriage to the late Maata Alice Tauwhare, he settled at Rapaki.

Mr Tauwhare leaves seven children, Oliver, Kama, Wi, Mary, Omaha, Beebe and Dawn, and many grandchildren.

Picture icon

Flowers on Hoani Tauwhare's grave outside historic Rapaki Church

Mr. P. G. McIntosh

Mr. P. G. McIntosh, Tama te Kapua, the pakeha rangatira of the Tohourangi people, died in the Tauranga Hospital on 16 June, 1966, aged 89.

One of the few white people who could claim the distinction of being a Maori chief, Mr McIntosh was associated with Maoris all his life and was in charge of several Maori army units during both world wars, earning their admiration and respect. He had links with Rotorua, Opotiki and Tauranga.

He was given the name of Tama te Kapua—son from above the clouds—when he was installed as a rangatira by the late Mr Tai Mitchell in Rotorua in 1940.

Born in Wellington in 1877, Mr McIntosh was the grandson of the first Scottish settlers in New Zealand, who arrived on the Duchess of Argyle in 1842.

His family moved first to North Auckland and then to Auckland where, as a message

– 4 –

boy, Mr McIntosh saw Te Kooti.

“He looked a venerable old gentleman, and had a bodyguard of four,” Mr McIntosh later recalled.

Mr McIntosh's long military career started in 1895 when he joined the Victoria Rifles, a company formed in 1855, which is the oldest volunteer rifle corps in the British Commonwealth. He also served in Wellington with the Zealandia Rifles, another volunteer unit.

On returning to Auckland, he rejoined the Victoria Rifles where he gained the rank of colour sergeant. He was later transferred to the Gordon Rifles and resigned in 1902.

He rejoined the permanent staff of the New Zealand military forces early in 1914 and was stationed in the North Auckland district as sub-area sergeant-major, controlling the largest area in New Zealand.

He went to France with the N.Z.E.F. in 1917 and returned to New Zealand in 1919. He did not go into service again till the outbreak of World War II, when he was stationed in Rotorua as sub-area sergeant-major in charge.

Mr McIntosh, a boat builder in Whangarei between the wars, took over a joinery firm in Opotiki on his return from World War II, and later went to Tauranga, where he resumed boat-building.

Mr McIntosh was a strong supporter of the Returned Serviceman's Association and held every office except that of president in both the Tauranga and Opotiki branches. He was elected a life member of the Western Bay of Plenty association in 1938.

He leaves a daughter, Mrs F. Hamilton, and a son, Mr N. McIntosh.

Mr G. H. Mana

Mr George Howard (Uweroa) Mana, Omokoroa, has died as the result of a street accident at Manurewa. He was 58.

He was born at Maungatautari Pa, Cambridge, and attended the Maungatautari No. 1 School, and later the Otumoetai School when his parents came to live in the district.

When he left school he worked at farming and was employed for 14 years by the three brothers Messrs Gordon, George and Frank Vosper in the Cambridge district.

He married Miss Tuhikorae Puturangi and they set up house on the farm. Later they moved to Tokoroa where they were share-milkers.

At the end of the contract they returned to Cambridge and Mr Mana began employment with the Ministry of Works at Karapiro.

After some time he was transferred to Mangakino and finally to Tauranga in 1952.

He left the M.O.W. and worked for some time on forestry work at Tokoroa and Reporoa and then started his own lawn mowing business in the Tauranga district.

He was an elder of the Koroki-Kahukura tribe. He is survived by his wife, nine children and 14 grandchildren.

Mrs T. Tawera

The townspeople of Ruatoki are mourning the recent death of Mrs Taumau Tawera—a woman well respected for the work she did in her lifetime for the Maori people of the district.

Mrs Tawera died in the Whakatane Hospital, and a tangi was held in her honour at Owhakatoro—attended by residents and pupils of both local schools.

The Tawera School is named after Mrs Tawera's family, who donated the land on which it stands. Across the road is the Taumau Hostel for teachers — built on land donated by Mrs Tawera herself.

A resident of Ruatoki said that Mrs Tawera was a ‘real fighter’ for the rights of the Ruatoki people, and that her death was a heavy blow to the community, as there was no-one to replace her.

Mr W. Te P. Kipa

One of the first Maoris in New Zealand to be a top racing cyclist, Mr William Skipper (Wiremu Te Puke Kipa) died in New Plymouth recently. He was 82.

Born in New Plymouth, Mr Skipper was educated at the Fitzroy Primary School. He was a member of the Star Rugby Football Club and at the turn of the century was a regular competitor and the now defunct Star Athletic and Cycling Club meetings. Before he left New Plymouth to live in Wellington he won a lot of cycle races on road and track.

He leaves a daughter, Mrs Eno Owens, Waiwatu.