Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa Go to Te Ao Hou homepage
No. 49 (November 1964)
– 62 –


Mrs Rose Maria Watene

The death occurred last August at Wellington of Mrs Rose Maria Watene. She was aged 83.

Mrs Watene was the mother of Mr Steve Watene, Opposition Member for Eastern Maori. She was the wife of the late Toki Watene.

Born at Opotiki, she was a member of the Ngati Rangiriri and Mokunuiarangi sub-tribes of the Arawa and of the Whanau-a-Apanui tribes.

She was buried at Totara Pa, Thames.

Another son, Bill, died some time ago.

Mrs Anil Evans

Mrs Ani Evans died last July in Dunedin. She was the wife of the late Mr Clive Evans.

Mrs Evans was born at Puketeraki. She was the youngest daughter of the late Hon. Tame Parata, a rangatira of Ngaitahu who also belonged to the Waitaha and Ngati Mamoe tribes.

Before her marriage Mrs Evans accompanied her father to Wellington during sessions of Parliament. He represented Southern Maori for 35 years.

Mrs Evans was deeply interested in Maori welfare and social work.

She leaves three children, Lovell, Peti and Margaret, and seven grandchildren.

The Rev. Anaru N. Ngawaka

The death occurred last August at Whangape, Northland, of the Rev. Anaru Ngawaka, Church of England minister and leader of Te Rarawa. He was aged 94.

The tangi was held at the Rev. Ngawak's house on the eastern side of Whangape Harbour, and at the Rev. Ngawaka's expressed wish, he was buried in the cemetery beside the old church near the ancient headland pa of Whakarongo.

The funeral service was conducted by the Bishop of Auckland (the Rt. Rev. E. A. Gowing)in the absence through ill health of the Bishop of Aotearoa (Rt. Rev. W. N. Panapa).

Supporting the bishop was the Archdeacon of Waimate (the Ven. E. A. Butt), Canon M. Cameron and practically all the Anglican clergy, Maori and Pakeha, of upper Northland.

In his funeral oration, Bishop Gowing referred to the noble example that Anaru Ngawaka had set and to the fact that his lifetime had spanned that of the seven bishops who had served in Auckland, including Bishop Selwyn who, though he left New Zealand in 1867, was still alive when Anaru Ngawaka was born.

The tangi was attended by six or seven-hundred people.

Mr John Wepiha Bluett

The death occurred last September at Whakatane of Mr John Wepiha Bluett, an elder of Ngati Hokopu and one of the most widely respected figures in the district. He is believed to have been at last 87 years old.

He was a member of the tribal executive for many years and always took an active interest in the welfare of his people.

He is survived by his wife, four sons and two daughters.

Mr Wiremu Wiki Walker

Mr Wiremu Wiki Walker died last September at Opotiki. He was aged 95.

A well-known farmer who spent most of his life in the district, Mr Walker belonged to the Whakatohea tribe.

There are 177 living descendants. He had 14 children, of whom eight are still alive, 30 grand-children, 137 great-grandchildren, and two great-great-grandchildren.

Mr Charles Davis

The death occurred last July at Te Kuiti of Mr Charles Richard Davis.

Mr Davis belonged to the Ngati-Kinohaku sub-tribe of Maniapoto. He was widely known and respected as a leader of the people of his district.

At the time of his death he was a member of the New Zealand Maori Council. He also served for many years as chairman of the Maniapoto tribal committee, and was a trustee of the Toka-nganui-a-noho Pa at Te Kuiti, taking a keen interest in its preservation.

He served in the first world war with the Maori Battalion, and before returning to New Zealand he was for a period engaged in the building trade in Australia. This experience he put to good use later in building up a major building business in Te Kuiti.

Among the many projects in which he took a leading part were the construction of the Tainui Memorial Meetinghouse at Kawhia, the Haurua

– 63 –

Maori King movement memorial at Hangatiki, and the recent restoration of the meeting-house Tokanganui-a-noho. He did much to further the objectives of the Maori Education Foundation in the Maniapoto area. He was the local representative of the Tainui Trust Board and was throughout his life a prominent supporter of the Maori King movement. He also took a very keen interest in the Maori Battalion Association.

He had a wide knowledge of Maori history and whakapapa and was a devoted advocate of the the Arawa Trust Board.

Mr Te Kiri is survived by his wife, three daughters and a son.

retention by the people of their Maoritanga.

Mr Davis is survived by his wife Edith and two children, John and Pat.

Mr Johnson Kawiti Grey

Mr Johnson Kawiti Grey, of Taradale near Napier, died last October at Napier. He was aged 59.

Mr Grey was a foundation member of the Ahuriri tribal executive committee, and acted as chairman from 1954 to 1959. He was one of the prime movers in the formation of the district councils of tribal executives.

On three Royal or vice-regal occasions, Mr Grey represented his people. He was presented to the Queen Mother, and the then Governor-General, Lord Cobham, when they visited Hawke's Bay, and he met Queen Elizabeth during the royal reception at Waitangi on her last visit to New Zealand.

A well-known orator, he was well versed in Maori history and culture.

He was responsible with others for forming the Maori youth club and marching teams of the Waiohiki-Moteo district. In his early years Mr Grey was a representative hockey player and for many years was a member of the Ruru Hockey Club. A keen musician, he assisted in the setting up of the only Maori silver band in the country, known as the Hamuere Silver Band.

He is survived by his wife, Wairakau (Baby), and his children, Raymond, Penny, and Lloyd.

Mrs Hinerau Waititi

The death occurred last August at the Cook Hospital, Gisborne, of Mrs Hinerau Waititi.

Mrs Waititi, of Ruatoria, was on both sides descended from families of aristocratic lineage. Her father was the late Mr Pani Fox, and her mother was Te Whakarua, daughter of Te Heapera, a famous Ngati Porou chieftainess of the Ruatoria-Mangahanea area.

Mrs Waititi was very prominent in all activities

– 64 –

in the district, and for 12 years was the Maori Welfare Officer in Ruatoria.

Her funeral was one of the largest in Ruatoria for many years. Before the burial, the cortege paid a brief call at the Uepohatu Memorial Hall, Whakarua Park, of which she had been a board member for many years, the land for the park having been donated by her grandfather. The contrast between the very moving scene at the Hall during her funeral, and the huge welcome party which the previous week had gathered there to greet the Australian rugby team, is the subject of this poem, sent to Te Ao Hou by one of those present.

Farewell Journey

Rootless the pongas stand, dead, dry, drooping;
Over the ticket-box the sign of the East Coast Rugby Union says,
Welcome to Whakarua Park.
The sharp wind whirls and eddies the brown shreds of treefern,
Whips them across the dusty threshold of Uepohatu;
And the mourners stand waiting, sad, bereft.

Last Sunday the pongas were green and fresh,
The haka party stamped and swung lithe limbs,
And sturdy torsos swayed with a welcoming beat
To the Wallaby Footballers.
This Sunday, the dead fronds of the pongas
Writhe to the agony, as the mournful chant
Wails out on the marae, shrill cadence keening;
And the pall-bearers stand waiting.

The wind is chill, but the sun is bright with promise.
Spring will be early this year.
The scent of the yellow wattle. daphne, violets, anemones and sun-gold daffodils
Rises from the back of the undertaker's truck.
She will not see the spring this year.
She will not walk its way again.
But her memory will spring like the fragrance of the blossom,
Her years of service be her living monument.