A Famous Church at Manutuke
A Large number of visitors from as far afield as Taupo and Wanganui gathered last year at Manutuke a few miles south of Gisborne, to join with the people of the East Coast in the centenary celebrations of the Turanga Pastorate in the Diocese of Waiapu. Manutuke, with its beautifully carved Holy Trinity Church, is the centre of the pastorate.
An Earlier Building on Same Site
The photograph on this page, which was taken in 1891, recalls some of the eventful history of the Turanga Pastorate in the past 100 years. It shows not the present Holy Trinity Church, but the one which preceded it. This was built in 1889, and unfortunately was destroyed by fire in 1910. After this the present building was erected, being dedicated by Archdeacon Herbert Williams in 1913. The carvings used in this building were new ones, and had been made by Te Ngaru of Te Arawa and Te Tuhi of Tuhoe.
But the church of 1889 was not the first to stand on this site. In 1849 ambitious plans were made by the people of the district to build a great church at Manutuke. This building, said to have been larger than the Rangiatea Church at Otaki, was decorated with elaborate and beautiful carvings. These all employed an unusual manaia (profile figure) design; it is said that this was done so that no human figure would appear in the carving.
This first building was dedicated in 1863. However during the period of the wars which followed, missionary work was set back throughout the diocese of Waiapu. The church at Manutuke was not well cared for, and it eventually collapsed. In 1889 the second church was erected, using timbers and carvings from the first one. This is the one shown in the photograph. When it burnt down most of the old carvings were lost, though a few were saved. These were erected outside the meeting house at Te Kuri, Muriwai, some ten miles to the south of Manutuke. They are still to be seen there.
Progress Day held by Wellington M.W.W.L.
A most successful and enjoyable Progress Day was held by the Wellington District Council of the Maori Women's Welfare League in the Upper Hutt Primary School hall on September 28.
The function was officially opened by Mrs J. Webber of Paraparaumu, recently elected Ikaroa area representative of the League. Mrs J. McEwen, president of Wellington District Council, extended a warm welcome to the large gathering of guests and League members. The Minister of Maori Affairs, the Hon. J. R. Hanan, and Mrs Hanan were greeted by a powhiri party led by Mrs Clark of Wellington.
In the morning, members of five branches—Poneke and Rangatahi (Wellington), Petone, Karangatui (Stokes Valley), Awakairangi (Upper Hutt) presented entries for competitions in Maori arts and crafts, Maori cooking, European cooking, sewing, knitting and floral art. The large number of entries kept six judges busy for well over an hour.
Highlights of the afternoon programme were the action song competition, won by Rangatahi, and a kono-making race, won by Mrs M. Love of Petone. The judge, Mr W. Parker from Adult Education, confessed this was a new one on him! It was also a new one for some of us! Later, Mr Parker inspired us all with an excellent film on Maori Arts and Crafts made by the National Film Unit last year. We understand this film is to be sent to London for use in New Zealand House.
The Hanan Rose Bowl, presented to the Wellington District Council by the Hon. J. R. Hanan three years ago and awarded each Progress Day to the branch gaining the most points in the competitions, was won by Awakairangi and presented to their president, Mrs J. McEwen, by Mrs Hanan.
J. C. Baxter,
Hon. Sec. Well.D.C.
A new world record for a marathon twist contest was claimed by Mrs Ra Denny, the mother of three children, and Mr C. Witehira, aged 19, of Dunedin, when they both completed 132 hours of twisting in a Christchurch contest recently. The marathon was organised as part of a campaign to raise funds for a Maori Community Centre in Christchurch.
The first two full members of the Tuwharetoa tribe to graduate from university received their degrees recently in Dunedin. They are Anthony Peter Hura (M.B., Ch.B.) and Wairehu Hikaka (B.D.S.).
The Nga Hau e Wha (Four Winds) Credit Union at Pukekohe, which recently became a registered member of the New Zealand Credit Union League, is believed to be the first Maori credit union to have taken this step.
Nga Hau e Wha started two years ago with a small group of Pukekohe Maoris interested in promoting the welfare of their community. Membership has grown to 100, with savings of £656 in hand and loans totalling £781 lent out among 27 people. In two years, 407 of the loans have been repaid.