Queen Victoria School
Celebrates Diamond Jubilee
Queen Victoria School, in Parnell, Auckland, this year celebrates its 60th anniversary. Many Old Girls of the school, with other visitors, gathered together for a service of thanksgiving to mark this occasion. The service, held in St Mary's Cathedral Church, was conducted by the Sub-Dean the Rev. P. M. Keith, with the assistance of the Rev. Canon Mangatitoki Cameron. A challenging address was given by the Rt. Rev. W. N. Panapa, Bishop of Aotearoa.
The official welcome, which followed in the Parish Hall, was attended by many distinguished guests. One of those present, Mr Dick Ormsby, had also been there to witness the laying of the foundation stone in 1901. Two others among the many speakers were Mr Tipi Ropiha, formerly Secretary for Maori Affairs, and Mrs Bella Taua, the retiring President of the Old Girls' Association.
Later, over a hundred former pupils responded to a roll call held at the school, pupils in each decade falling in behind their appropriate standard. There was especially warm applause for the nine old girls who represented the 1903–1912 decade, Two of these, Mrs McGruther (Daisy Ormsby) of Pirongia, and Mrs Brown (Eliza Kingi) of Te Kaha, were foundation scholars.
In the evening, two hundred and fifty guests sat down to a jubilee dinner.