Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa Go to Te Ao Hou homepage
No. 43 (June 1963)
– 63 –


Mr S. W. Maioha, O.B.E.

The death occurred suddenly, on 29th January, of Mr Samuel William Maioha, O.B.E., aged 74. He was an outstanding leader in Northland, and was prominent as an official, organiser, interpreter and executive in the social, welfare and sporting activities of the Maori people.

He was chairman of the Tai Tokerau district council of tribal committees, a trustee and secretary of the Waitangi Te Ti Bay Trust Board, secretary of the Waitangi National Maori Reserve Trustees Committee and secretary of the Kawakawa Tribal Executive. He was recently appointed a member of the New Zealand Maori Council.

He was an interpreter for more than 50 years and served on numerous local bodies and school committees. He was a foundation member of the North Auckland Rugby Union and a former Northland representative at rugby, cricket and tennis, as well as playing a prominent part in many other sports.

Born at Waimamaku, Mr Maioha came of wellknown families on both sides.

As a young man he went down to the East Coast for a while but returned to Kaikohe, where he first became a licensed Maori interpreter in 1910 and lived for 14 years until he moved to Rawhiti and finally settled in Russell during World War II.

Mr Maioha received the O.B.E. in the New Year's honours, and was to have been presented to the Queen on Waitangi Day.

The funeral, which was attended by a very large number of people, was held at the Waitangi marae.

Mr Harry Watson

A leading Maori elder of Taranaki, Mr Harry Watson, has died at his home at Motunui after a long illness. He was 69.

A chief of the Atiawa tribe, Mr Watson contributed much to the district and was particularly interested in museum activities.

He was selected to speak for his people at the opening of the Taranaki museum in 1961, but was unable to attend because of illness.

Mr Watson is survived by three sons and seven daughters.

Mr Iki Pouwhare

Mr Iki Pouwhare, a leading authority on Tuhoe history and traditions, died in Whakatane last April, aged 82.

Mr Pouwhare was the paramount chief of the Tuhoe people and lived at Waiohau.

His early life was spent at Ruatoki but in the 1920s he moved to Waiohau where he became a foreman for the Maori Affairs Department. He later farmed on his own account.

Mr Pouwhare was a member of the Tuhoe Trust Board, member of the Tuhoe Maori Land Advisory Committee, chairman of the Southern Tuhoe Tribal Executive, a former chairman of the local school committee and an original member of the Waiohau Tribal Committee.

Keenly interested in all sports, Mr Pouwhare was patron of many sporting organisations.

He held high office in the Ringatu Church.

Mr Pouwhare was buried at Waiohau. He leaves nine children and numerous grandchildren.

Mr T. Wallace

The manager of the Ranana development scheme, Mr Tommy Wallace (Tame Wanihi), who died last February at the age of 51, was associated with the Department of Maori Affairs for almost all his working life.

He was first employed as a shepherd, 30 years ago, on Morikau Station. At this stage the station was controlled by the Aotea District Maori Land Board and later by the Maori Trustee.

He was then employed by the Department of Maori Affairs on the Ranana development scheme and was appointed manager in 1956. Earlier, he occupied a farm in the Ranana area.

He is survived by his widow, Mrs Weheora Wallace, and nine children. The funeral was held at Jerusalem.

Mrs N. H. Wereta

A woman thought to have been 112 years old has died in Wanganui.

She was Ngaone Harihona Wereta, a paramount chieftainess of the Poutama-Ngati tribe. It has been established that Mrs Wereta was a girl of seven or eight years when the battle of Moutoa

– 64 –

took place in 1864. Mrs Wereta, wife of the late Mr Renata Tekapango, was also present at a number of other battles in her younger years.

Mrs Wereta was at Parikino in 1893 when peace negotiations were conducted between Major Kemp and Te Kooti.

She took a prominent part in the welfare of the people in the Wanganui River districts and her commanding personality was such that all had the greatest respect for her. Mrs Wereta had no direct issue, but her direct relations are estimated to be in the vicinity of 1,000. She was buried at Matahiwi, on the Wanganui River.

The Rev. Tame Te Teira

Last April the Rev. Tame Te Teira, aged 66 years, collapsed and died soon after his arrival at the annual Presbyterian Synod at Ohope.

Mr Te Teira, a World War I veteran, was born at Te Hauhi, about 10 miles from Murupara. He served for many years in the Lands and Survey Department as a field assistant, and also worked in timber mills in the district.

About seven years ago Mr Te Teira entered the ministry and trained at Whakatane. He was first sent to Waiohau and finally transferred to Ruatahuna.

He was the father of 18 children and he is survived by his wife, six daughters and six sons. The tangi was held at Waikotikoti Pa, Te Whaiti.

Mr Tame te Tuhi

The death occurred in Rotorua recently of Tame Te Tuhi, son of the famous Tuhoe carver, Te Tuhi, who carved the main meeting house Hine-Nui-Te-Po at Te Whaiti over a 20-year period.

Tame Te Tuhi's body was taken to his ancestral home, Waikotikoti marae, for the tangi.

Mr T. Nepia

A well known former resident of the Nuhaka district, Mr Tom Nepia, died last March in the Rotorua Hospital after a sudden illness. He was a close relative of the former All Black foot-baller, Mr George Nepia.

Mr Nepia was educated at the Nuhaka Maori School, gaining the junior Makarini Scholarship, and later at Te Aute College, where he won the senior Makarini scholarship.

He was a keen sportsman, being a Rugby player for the Nuhaka Club for many years. He was responsible for many successes the club enjoyed. He was also for many years a supporter of the Mahia Hunt Club and a Nuhaka A. and P. Association. For a time he was chairman of the Nuhaka Inc. blocks committee and was a member of the Maori School Committee. He also served for a time on the executive of the Wairoa County Rugby Sub-union.

In later years he transferred to Taupo, where he accepted a position with the County Council as hydatids control officer.