Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa Go to Te Ao Hou homepage
No. 41 (December 1962)
– 63 –

HAERE KI O
KOUTOU TIPUNA

Canon P. M. Kohere

One of the best known and oldest of Maori Anglican clergymen, Canon Poihipi Mokena Kohere, O.B.E., died at his home at Rangitukia, East Coast, on September 27. He was aged 86.

Canon Kohere had served the Anglican church for 60 years. For 51 of those years he was vicar of the Waiapu parish based on Tikitiki, East Coast.

He was awarded the O.B.E. in 1957.

Canon Kohere was born at Horoera, East Cape in 1876.

He was a distinguished member of the Ngati Porou tribe and one of the last contemporaries of the late Sir Apirana Ngata.

Canon Koheres father fought with the army against Te Kooti and later sat in the Legislative Council.

Mr Paratene Ngata

Mr Paratene (Pat) Ngata, of Maraehana, Tikitiki, died suddenly at Te Araroa recently. He was aged 69.

Mr Ngata was educated at St Stephen's School for Maori Boys, Auckland, and later at Te Aute College, where he passed his public service examinations.

While awaiting his appointmentment for Government office service, Mr Ngata taught at Te Aute College for a short period. He left the Public Service after three years to return home to help his father on his farm. In later years, Mr Ngata farmed in the Matakaoa district, where he remained until his death.

He served for several years on the Waiapu County Council, Waiapu Hospital Board, Tokomaru Bay Harbour Board, and Poverty Bay Catchment Board, and was chairman of directors of the Te Araroa Trading Company, Limited, a director of the Waiapu Farmers' Co-operative Company and was a licensed interpreter of the first grade.

Mr Ngata is survived by his wife and four sons and five daughters, and grandchildren.

The Rev. A. B. Kena

The death has occurred of the Rev. A. B. Kena, Pastor of Otaki's historic Maori church, Rangiatea. He had been in indifferent health for the past year.

Ordained in Auckland in 1940, after attending St John's College there he was attached to the Maori mission field in that area until 1948, when he transferred to Putiki, Wanganui. He remained there for four years before accepting a call to Feilding.

He came to Otaki in 1958.

During the greater part of his term with the Ministry he has devoted his activities to the mission field and to furthering the work of youth club groups. He became a recognized, colourful exponent of Maori folk lore when performing at youth club festivals on many of the Dominion's maraes.

The Rev. Ratu Lewis

The death occurred recently of the Rev. Ratu Lewis, minister of the Presbyterian Maori congregation in Whakatane.

Born in Nuhaka, Hawkes Bay, 59 years ago, Mr Lewis was one of a large Mormon family. He went to school in his home district before taking up landscape gardening. Later he was farming and bus driving for several years.

Coming into touch with Sister Edith of the Presbyterian Maori Mission at Nuhaka, Mr Lewis became a member of the Presbyterian Church. Some years later he was ordained as an elder and after serving the church for some years was appointed Moderator of the Maori Synod.

In 1955 Mr Lewis was one of the first to enrol in a special course for senior elders at the Maori Theological College, Whakatane. After a two-year course he was ordained a minister and appointed to the full charge of the Taupo Maori Mission station.

Early in 1961, Mr Lewis was appointed minister of the Maori congregation in Whakatane. Although he had been in ill-health for some years,

– 64 –

and almost blind for the last few months, Mr Lewis was still at work until quite recently.

He is survived by his widow and 14 children. The funeral services at Ohope and the Whakatane Hill Cemetery were conducted by the Rt. Rev. J. G. Daughton, assisted by other ministers of the mission.

Mr. Matekino Punoke.

The death occurred recently of Mr Matekino Punoke, of Waotu Road, Putaruru. Mr Punoke, who was in his 98th year, was chief of the Ngati Punoke tribe.

He was a member of several tribal committees, including the Whakaarati-maiti committee, Mr Punoke, who was a fine orator and leader, farmed a property at the Waotu. Road.

A tangi was attended by many people from over a wide area.

Mr Tamahana Naere

Mr Tamahana ‘Tommy’ Naera, Whakarewarewa, an authority on Maori art and culture and an elder of the Tuhorangi and Ngati-Whakaue subtribes, died in Rotorua recently.

Aged 64, he had been in ill-health for some time. He was regarded as one of the best carvers in the Arawa district and his works are in many meeting houses. In his later years, Mr Naera was engaged mainly in work for the Maori pepole and the Te Ngae Anglican Parish. He was also interested in the welfare of Maori ex-servicemen.

Mr Naera is survived by his wife.

Mrs Hape Chase

The death has occurred at Taumarunui of Rangiwhio Katarina (Mrs Hape Chase) at the age of 89 years. She was the daughter of Mr Alexander Bell, the first white man to settle permanently in Taumarunui.

Mr Bell, a member of the Armed Constabulary, an Englishman who had formerly been a sailor, married Katarina Te Waihanea, daughter of Te Awhiut, a high-ranking Taumarunui Maori, at Wairoa. Their first child was Rangiwhio Katarina.

The couple and their daughter, aged two, in 1874 trekked all the way from Wairoa to Taumarunui.

The daughter later married Mr Hape Chase, one of the best-known ‘skippers with Hatrick and Company's fleet of Wanganui river-boats which plied between Taumarunui and Wanganui till the service cased in 1928.

Mrs Chase is surveived by two sons, William and Paerata.

Archdeacon Tipene

Archdeacon te Rata Pakihau Tipene, the first Maori archdeacon in New Zealand, has died aged 55.

He studied at St John's Anglican Theological College, Auckland, and wa ordained deacon in 1931 and priest the follwing year. he served as curate at Kamo (1931–32), Kaikohe (1932–34), Peria (1934–45), Whangarei (1945–51), and Northern Wairoa (1951–53), working specially among Maoris.

He was appointed vicar of Kawakawa in 1953, a position from which he resigned earlier this year because of his ill health. Also in1953 he was meade a canon of St Mary's Cathedral, Auckland.

He became Archdacon of Waimate in 1957, a position he retained until his death.

Mr Tane Clarke

The death has occurred of Mr Tane Clarke, of Ngawha.

In his 74th year, Mr Clarke was in his younger days a prominent footballer, being a star player in the Ohaeawai an dBay of Islands XVs. He also represented North Auckland.

He was bonr at Nagwha and spent most of his life on the family farm. He was a foundation member of the St Michael's Anglican Church Committee, was for many years chairman of the Ohaeawai Maori School Committee, and served for a number of years on the Ngawha Hall Committee.

He is survived by his wife, 12 children, and 37 grandchildren.