Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa Go to Te Ao Hou homepage
No. 40 (September 1962)
– 63 –


Mr Tenga Takarangi

The death occurred on June 29 at Wanganui, after a short illness, of Mr Tenga-Iterangi Takarangi. He was aged 64.

Mr Takarangi was one of the most widely-known and respected Maoris in Wanganui. He was of the Te Atihau (Whanganui) and of the Ngata Whiti Tama tribes, the latter being a subtribe of Tuwharetoa. He attended the Wanganui Collegiate School from 1911 to 1915 and was known for his prowess on the Rugby field.

As a farm cadet he worked in Taihape and was a former Taihape and Rangitikei Rugby representative.

Mr Takarangi joined the staff of the Maori Affairs Department in 1942. From 1947 until his retirement he was employed on titles work.

Putiki Pa always claimed his interest. There were very few projects carried out there in which he did not take a leading part.

Mr Takarangi was co-chairman of the Whanganui provincial committee of the Maori Education Foundation Fund. He did not spare himself in any way in raising funds for a cause close to his heart.

He also figured actively in missionary work for the Anglican Church at Putiki. He was a member of the vestry, and was vicar's warden. He was also a member of the Wellington Diocesan Maori Church Board.

Many hundreds of people from all over the country attended his funeral at Putiki.

He is survived by his wife, Mrs Rangitaamo Takarangi, and an adult family. A son, Flight-Sergeant Takarangi, died on active service with the Royal New Zealand Air Force, in World War II.

Mrs Takekore Manuera

Mrs Takekore Manuera, of Kaitaia, died recently at her home. She was 56 years of age.

Her body was laid to rest at Te Kao cemetery beside that of her father, Eru Ihaka, late leader of the Aupouri tribe.

The gathering at the tangi was one of the largest held in the district since the death of her father in 1937. Relatives gathered from far afield, including two of her sons who are in the army. Eru Manuera is a cadet at the Officers' Training School, Portsea, Melbourne, Australia, and his brother Rawhiti is stationed at Papakura Military Camp.

The funeral service was conducted by one of her brothers, the Rev. Kingi Ihaka, Wellington, and the Rev. H. Parsons.

Her death marked the passing of a distinguished member of the Maori race, both from her descent (she is a great grand-daughter of Paraone Ngaruhe, one of the two chiefs who signed the Treaty of Waitangi on behalf of Te Aupouri) and from her character.

Mrs Manuera had come to live in Kaitaia in 1949 after the appointment of her husband as Maori Welfare Officer for the Mangonui and Whangaroa districts.

She is survived by her husband and three sons. Mr Hemi Manuera Jnr. is a member of the office staff of the Kaitaia Dairy Company. The two younger sons, after successful careers as pupils of Kaitaia College, each became head prefect, won the William Robert Friar Memorial prize for the best cadet in the Northern Military District, and chose military careers.

Mr J. H. Waretini

The death occurred at Auckland recently of Julian Heru Heru Waretini, eldest son of Waretini Eparaima and Ataraita Waretini, of Ngati Tuhourangi. He was in his 59th year and was not married.

Mr Waretini was educated at the Whakarewarewa School and Te Aute College. At the age of 17 he entered the Government lighthouse service and served on the Hinemoa, Tutanekai and Matai.

During the Second World War he sailed with the Second Echelon as a member of the Maori Battalion and served in England and the Middle East before returning to New Zealand with the first furlough draft in 1943. He later served in Italy and was Mentioned in Dispatches during the Florence campaign.

On returning to New Zealand in 1945 he rejoined the Matai and was later a member of the New Zealand crew for the Monowai. When the Monowai was paid off in 1960 he was the only remaining member of the original crew.

Mr Waretini then joined the Tofua but was forced by ill-health to resign about nine months ago. He is survived by two brothers and one sister.

– 64 –

Mr Rangi K. Utiku

The death occurred on June 22nd of Mr Rangi K. Utiku, a Taihape resident well-known in athletic circles.

He was vice-president and official coach of the Taihape Amateur Athletic Club, and the holder of the N.Z. Athletic Association coaching badge.

He was in charge of the jumping events when the N.Z. athletic championships were last held in Palmerston North.

He was a former member of the Taihape School Committee, and was also prominent in Anglican Church activities, until recently being vicar's warden.

Mr T. T. S. Pratt

The death occurred at the New Plymouth Hospital recently of a well-known former Waitara Maori concert party leader and Rugby enthusiast, Mr Tani Tangitehinga Sunny Pratt, aged 49.

Himself a son of a widely renowned haka leader, Mr Pratt formed two major concert parties during his life, the last of which was discontinued at Waitara three years ago after a life of seven or eight years when a number of its members left the district. He was also one of the hardest-working members of the Atiawa Rugby Football Club, to which he devoted many years. He is survived by his wife and two children.

Mr Te Rakaupai Te Akau

An elder of Ngati Hinemihi, Te Rakaupai Te Akau, died recently at Kauriki near Manunui, King Country.

Te Rakaupai was the eldest son of Eruera Te Akau, a leading elder of the Ngati Hinemihi subtribe of Ngati Tuwharetoa and Maniopoto tribes. He farmed on his own land at Kauriki near Manunui. The tangi was held at Kauriki marae.

Mrs Te Pura Taka

The death occurred on May 4 of Mrs Te Pura Taka, wife of Mr George Taka, of Prospect Terrace, Pukekohe.

Mrs Taka was a foundation member and past-president of the Maori Women's Welfare League—of which she was a representative of the Honouring Age Committee—a member of the Tribal School Committee in Maori Welfare work in Pukekohe.

Mrs Taka also played a prominent part in the Queen Carnival which raised funds for the Maori Hall in Pukekohe.

She was highly respected by both Maori and Pakeha residents, and her passing will leave a tremendous gap in Maori welfare work.

Mrs Taka is survived by her husband and three children.