Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa Go to Te Ao Hou homepage
No. 37 (December 1961)
– 3 –


Picture icon



Raupunga and Mohaka district residents recently suffered the loss of a highly respected member of the community, Mr Barney Te Kahika, who passed away following a short illness in his seventieth year.

In his early days Mr Kahika was a rugby player and athlete of note and for many years was a member of the leading shearing gangs in Hawke's Bay. He excelled in any form of work he undertook and always gave unsparingly of his best.

He will be remembered by all who knew him as a notable representative of his race who won for himself a respected place in the community. He is survived by his wife and family of five sons and daughters and a number of grand-children.


A well-known Maori leader, churchman, educationist and sportsman of the Tautoro district, near Kaikohe, Mr Huirua Whiu, died suddenly at Auckland recently.

Aged 56, Mr Whiu liver at Tautoro all his life.

He was a well-known farmer, former chairman and secretary of the Tautoro tribal committee and recognised leader of the Maori people.

Mr Whiu was chairman of the Tautoro Maori School for ten years from 1949 to 1959, and secretary for two years.

He took a keen interest in post-primary education and was a liaison officer between the first principal of Northland College (Mr N. P. Pitcaithly), and the Maori people of the district.

His one slogan was “education—and more education.” He is known to have financially assisted many young Maori people through training colleges and university.

Mr Whiu was a keen member of the Church of England, and fought hard for the establishment of the Church of the Transfiguration at Tautoro which was completed and dedicated in 1958.

Mr Whiu was particularly well-known in rugby football circles as a Bay of Islands and Northland Rugby representative in the 1930s, and a Maori All Black in 1935 and 1936.

In recent years he was a rugby referee.

Mr Whiu is survived by his wife, twelve children (seven sons and five daughters) and four grandchildren.


A well known man in Bluff credited with the training of many of the port's oystermen, Mr Henry Tehaeta Whaitiri, has died in Bluff.

Mr Whaitiri (also known as Sandy) achieved fame in the early days of the New Zealand coast as steersman for a boat used to deliver stores to the lighthouses.

He was a well known oysterman, and during the off-season relieved on the crew of the Bluff Harbour Board's tug on its periodic trips to Port Chalmers. He stayed in the oyster industry until his retirement six years ago.

Mr Whaitiri was well liked in the Bluff community. He was a member of the Hokonui Trust Board since its inception in 1938.

Mr Whaitiri is survived by his wife and daughter (Nancy, Mrs S. Hunter), and son John. A daughter, Reka (Mrs Condren) predeceased him. There are ten grandchildren.


Mr William Hapi Puketapu, 35, of Lower Hutt, died last August.

A large assembly of mourners attended the tangi, including numbers of the deceased's kinfolk from Picton and Taranaki.

The deceased was the son of Mr Peter Puketapu, a younger brother of Mr Ihaia Puketapu, the well-known leader of the Waiwhetu community.

Mr Puketapu was a much respected member of the Maori community in the Hutt Valley. He is survived by his widow and five children.


The death occurred recently at Te Teko of Tamati Teoaoturoa Ramanui, who was believed to be 108. As a young man he was associated 21726 - PEGASUS - Te Ao Hou — RH — NINE with Te Kooti.

At the age of 28 he was one of the original pupils of the Te Teko Maori School when it was opened in 1881.

At the time of his death he was a minister of the Ratana church.


The recent death in the Rawene Hospital of Mr Manu Ruma brought an end to a colourful

– 4 –

chapter in New Zealand history.

Mr Ruma was the last survivor of the “dog tax war” of 1898.

Mr Ruma, who was 87 years of age, was buried on his own land on the Horeke-Taheke Road where he had lived for several years.


The death occurred at Gisborne recently of Mr Rangi Wetene Rikirangi, a grandson of Te Kooti Rikirangi, the famous Maori leader and prophet.

Te Kooti left one son, Wetene Rikirangi, whose two children were Tangi and Puti, a daughter. The last-named is Mrs Piki Smith, the wife of a well-known Rugby football representative of the twenties.


Mrs Dorothy (Holly) Hineiheua Johnson, who died recently at Kohupatiki, Hawke's Bay, was the daughter of a well-known Kohupatiki family.

Born at Kohupatiki, Mrs Johnson was the daughter of Mrs R. K. Chadwick and the late Mr Tom Chadwick and the elder sister of Mr John Te K. Chadwick.

She was educated at Mangateretere School and Napier Girls' High School. She married the late Mr Turoa Renata and following his death married Mr Mangu Johnson. There is one adopted daughter, Matu, by the first marriage.

After Mr Johnson's return from the Sceond World War they took up farming at Waimarama, and later at Tutira, until a few years ago when they moved back to the original Kohupatiki homestead to live with Mrs Chadwick.


At the age of 58 Mr George Leach passed away on June 26th, 1961. George had been ill for some time but had continued to work until the beginning of 1960 when he was ordered into hospital at Rotorua. Towards the end of the year he was able to resume work but ill health again forced him to enter hospital. In March of this year he once more felt well enough to return to work. In June 25th while taking part in the Bible Week Campaign when he read the lesson from the new translation of the New Testament, he contracted a chill which brought to a close a most useful life.

George's life had been one of service to both Maori and Pakeha. He began his education at the Whangara Maori School and won a Makarini Scholarship which took him to Te Aute College. In his final year he was Dux but unfortunately there was no one to encourage him to go on to University. Nevertheless he began to work in Gisborne with a Maori Agent, Mr Willie Cooper, and his work was recognised by law firms and the Judge and Registrar of Maori Land Court as being of very excellent order. So much so that he was prevailed upon to enter Public Service with Maori Affairs Department in 1928. He was posted to Wellington for a few months, then transferred to Wanganui. While with the Wanganui Office he covered all phases of the Department's work throughout the whole district. I think he was the best known Maori in the whole of the Aotea District. It was during the war years that his health first broke down. In 1941 he was told to go into Sanatorium, but with staff shortages caused through men going on military duty, he felt he must do his bit by staying at his work.

While in Wanganui he spent most of his Saturday mornings in Maori Welfare work. There are many families to-day who have George to thank for the guidance and help he gave their young people.

He was Chairman of Queens Park School Committee for several years, a member of the Rugby Union, a member of Durie Hill Scouts Committee, Swimming Club, Kaierau Football Club, a Vestryman and a Synodsman.

Transferred to Rotorua as Officer in Charge of Consolidations in 1948, he rose to be Deputy Registrar of Waiariki Maori Land District, which position he held until ill health forced him to relinquish that office for one less arduous.