Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa Go to Te Ao Hou homepage
No. 36 (September 1961)
– 3 –


Picture icon



Mr William Field Porter, Judge of the Maori Land Court, died suddenly at his home in Whangarei in June at the age of 61.

Mr Porter, who originally came from Auckland, entered the legal profession when he joined the practice of the late John Alexander. He later became a partner in the firm of Messrs Lusk, Willis, Sproule and Woodhouse in Wairoa, Hawkes Bay, and was legal officer on the staff of the State Advances Corporation.

From there he joined the Maori Land Court and was appointed Judge in Whangarei in April 1958.


A former commanding officer of the Maori Battalion in the 2nd World War, Mr Kingi Areta Keiha died suddenly at his home in Gisborne. He was aged 62.

The deceased sailed from New Zealand with the Second Echelon, which included the first Maori group to go overseas with the Army in the Second World War.

Mr Keiha at that time held the rank of second lieutenant and he served with the battalion in Greece, Crete and the Middle East, succeeding Lieutenant Colonel C. M. Bennett, as commanding Officer when Lieutenant Colonel Bennett was severaly wounded in action.

Mr Keiha returned to New Zealand with a furlough draft in February, 1944, and joined the newly-created Rehabilitation Department as Maori rehabilitation officer.

Later he transferred to the Maori Affairs Department and was district welfare officer until he left the department in 1951 to enter private practice as a licensed interpreter and Maori agent.


The death occurred recently at Whataarakai, of Mrs Rautangata Hutana, aged 65, a well-known and respected resident of the Waipawa district.

Mrs Hutana was a direct descendant of the chief Parakiore on her father's side, and Te Rangihakahaka on her mother's side.

Mrs Hutana will be remembered best locally by her singing efforts to raise funds during World War I. She was an active member of the Maori War Effort Organisation during World War II.


The death occurred suddenly at Wairoa recently of Mr Horima Hakopa te Awarangi, a well-known and respected resident of the district.

Mr te Awarangi, who was 48, served in World War II and was an active member of the Tapuwai football and hockey clubs.


Mrs Tati Te Rohe Hua has died at Te Awamutu. There is no written record of her birth, but her family, after careful comparison of the ages of her descendants, estimate her age to have been 115.

Mrs Hua had two children, both of whom are still living. Her son, Mr Puke Hua, of Rakaunui, on the shore of Kawhai Harbour, is aged about 90.


Mrs Hinga Walker died in Wellington recently in her 68th year. Mrs Walker had a long association with welfare work among the Maori people and was held in high esteem for her example and high standard of character. She was especially interested in the work of the Maori Women's Welfare Committee, in hospital visiting, and in the welfare of Maori girls in the city.

She was the first Maori woman warden in the Wellington area. This office gave official recognition to her work and increased the scope of her service in the city.

Mrs Walker was a member of the Ngati Poneke Tribal Committee and was vice-president of the Christchurch Te Waipounamu Girls' College Old Girls' Association.


The death occurred at Waitara recently of Mr James White (Manu Teuaua), an influential elder of the Atiawa tribe. He was aged 68. Mr White was active in Maori welfare and sporting admin-

– 4 –

istration, and took a keen interest in youth work.

Mr White was one of the persons responsible for getting the permission of the Atiawa people to allow last year's Waitara swamp search to take place. He assisted the director of the Canterbury Museum, Dr Roger Duff, in meeting tribal elders and explaining the objective of the excavation.

At the time of his death Mr White was the chairman and a trustee of the Ngatirahiri subtribe of the Atiawa tribe.

In his working days he was employed at the Waitara freezing works. For many years he was a contract boner, and gained a reputation for a high standard of workmanship.

Since his retirement about 10 years ago Mr White had taken an active interest in the grounds of the Manukorihi pa. He devoted many hours to keeping the area tidy and did all these duties in an honorary capacity.

He was an enthusiastic sportsman in his younger days as a Rugby player and roller skater. He represented Taranaki at Rugby and later, when president of the Atiawa Rugby Club, was the Maori representative to the Taranaki Rugby Union.

His sporting interests were wide. In more recent times he was president of the Raukura Tennis Club, the Raukura Softball Club, the Raukura Table Tennis Club and the Waitara Young Peoples' Club.


A well-known Rotorua identity and a member of the Te Arawa tribe recently passed away at the Rotorua Hospital in his 88th year. His funeral was at Kokohinau Pa, Te Teko, a district where he had been a successful farmer for many years.

Born in the Taupo area, “Dick” Park clearly remembered when Mr. Tarawera erupted in 1886. He was about 12 years old at that time and astride a white horse some distance from the scene of destruction and therefore escaped the fate of his mother, and other members of his immediate family who were killed by the eruption.

His father, also Richard Park, was a Scotchman who became the first Postmaster at Taupo and was assigned by the Government to let the first trout loose in that lake that is now so famous for fishing. His mother was a chieftainness of Tuwharetoa, Te Angaangawaero Merepeka Poia … by name, and through her lineage “Dick” Park could claim connection to many tribes through famous ancestors. He was related closely to the well-known Ngati Toa chief Te Rauparaha.

Educated at Te Aute College and St. Patrick's school, Wellington, he furthered his studies at Victoria University, where he took a keen interest in the legal profession. However, the Land Court judge Percy Smith took young “Dick” under his wing and made him a cadet in his Wellington office. While at Te Aute College with Ngata, Buck, and other well known members of the Maori Party, he excelled in sport; was a member of the rugby fifteen, and took an interest in wrestling. In the winter examinations at the age of 17, he came second to the head College boy (who was the son of the European teacher Mr Reed). Later Mr Park was the constant companion of Elsdon Best and acted as the Maori Interpreter for the Commission when that body was appointed to make sure of titles to 600,000 acres of Uruwera land.

Mr Park was a Boer War Veteran, and at the time of his death was one of the three surviving Maori veterans.

At one stage of his life he stood for Parliament when he contested the Eastern Maori electorate against Sir Apirana Ngata, but was defeated. He was a well known figure on many a Marae and was a licensed interpreter.

He is survived by three sons, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.

Sent in by

George F. Howe