Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa Go to Te Ao Hou homepage
No. 25 (December 1958)
– 61 –

GISBORNE HIGH SCHOOL REUNION

During the weekend of 6, 7, 8th March, 1959, Jubilee Celebrations will be held at the Gisborne Boys' High School to mark the fiftieth anniversary of the school's foundation. The main feature of the many functions to be held, will be the opening of the War Memorial Pavilion on the Rectory grounds.

Prior to 1909, secondary education in Gisborne was carried out under the old District High School system. Any old students may be assured of a special welcome even though the official beginning as a High School dates from 1909. It may be interesting to learn that three of the original foundation pupils of 1888 are still living in Gisborne—Mrs A. Thompson, Mrs J. Hughes and Mrs J. Graham.

Fifty years have brought many changes–more pupils, larger playing areas, development of an industrial course, additional buildings, fire, earthquake, defeat and victory.

They have also left behind many memories: the morning assemblies with the hymns, the class jokes, the playing field, the hard grind for some of us, for examinations.

The record of our Maori people in the fine history of Gisborne High School is one of which the Maori Race may well feel proud. The photographs of the sports teams show success of our pupils in this part of school life. The honours boards show how well those Maori pupils who carried on their schooling to the highest forms can do. Their efforts must stand as an example to the many, for alas, only too few are willing to make the effort to attain academic success in a world where academic success is so necessary if the Maori race is to keep its proud place.

Today in the Boys' High School—for in 1936 a separate girls school was established—there are over 100 Maori pupils out of a total of 670. There are four Maori boys in 6A and four among the prefects including the deputy Head Boy. Maori boys figure prominently in all the sports teams, and a Maori boy represented the school in the Overseas League Oratory Contest at Hamilton last year.

March 1959 will provide an opportunity for Gisborne's old boys to walk the same corridors, to sit in the same rooms (the old desks are gone, but yours may be one of the few used in the film room), to sing the old songs and to join with our former class mates.