These farmers won the Ahuwhenua Trophy for 1957. In the front row with the Rt. Hon. W. Nash are, left: Mr and Mrs H. M. Davis, of Otaramarae (winner of sheep and cattle) and right: Mr and Mrs R. Cairns, of Welcome Bay, Tauranga (dairy). Others in the picture won the second and third prizes. (Rotorua Post Photo.)
A WAVE OF GATHERINGS
Taheke: The unveiling of memorials to six members of Taheke families was the occasion for a gathering of more than a thousand people at Taheke, Northland, on March 30. The ceremony was attended by Mr T. P. Paikea, M.P.
Huramua: The opening of the Huramua Memorial Hall on April 6 (Easter Saturday) was the scene of a spirited discussion about the place of the Maori language in which the chief champions were the Hon. E. T. Tirikatene and Mr R. McGregor, an elder of Ngati Kahungunu. All the speakers were agreed that it is important to a Maori to be educated in both languages. The hall, built in memory of the Tanemitirangi tribe's service in both world wars, is modern and attractive and of a sensible medium size. Cost was £6000 including the pound for pound government subsidy.
Tangiteroria: On Sunday, April 7, the Tangiteroria community centre ‘Tirarau’ was opened. The chief after whom it was named was a signatory of the Treaty of Waitangi and a valuable friend to William Colenso, the first missionary in the district. The official opening was by Mr Te Riri Maihi Kawiti, O.B.E.; the main mover behind the hall construction was Miss Phoebe Tito.
Otaki: Among religious gatherings at Easter-time the Hui Araranga Katorika (1200 visitors) held at Otaki was a prominent one. Guests came from as far away as Gisborne, Taranaki and Christchurch. In addition to the religious observances, a great variety of youth activities were organized—sports, oratory, solo and choir singing, and Maori dance items.
Panguru: By far the largest of the Easter gatherings however was in one of the remotest and most isolated corners of New Zealand: Panguru. At this largest Maori gathering in Hokianga for many years (estimated attendance 3000) memorials were unveiled to deceased residents connected with the Te Wake family, the ceremony being performed by King Koroki. Mr T. P. Paikea, M.P., was among the visitors.
Waiwhetu: Only a week after Easter a crowd of 700 gathered at Waiwhetu where the Rt. Hon. W. Nash laid the foundation stone of the meeting house Arohanui Ki Te Tangata which will incorporate the many excellent carvings used at the Centenary celebrations in 1940. The money needed for this house, estimated at £18,000, has now been found and the meeting house should be ready for occupation next year. Addresses were given by the Rt. Hon. W. Nash and by Mr Ihaia Puketapu, who were the two main forces behind the project which enjoyed wide support, not least among Europeans in the Hutt district.
Dargaville: As part of the 50th year jubilee celebrations at Dargaville on April 14th, there was a Maori function at Rahiri Pa, attended by 1500 people. Among the many prominent guests were the Rt. Hon. W. Nash and the Hon. E. T. Tirikatene. There was an excellent musical display, a great hangi and among those presented to Mr Nash were Mrs Topia, aged 101 and Miss Te Aroha Nahi, exchange operator at Parakao who swam through the recent floods to go on duty.
Tauranga: A discussion between the Prime Minister and tribal leaders was held at Judea Pa on April 26. Part of the large gathering consisted of pupils from Maori schools in the Western Bay of Plenty.
Davis of Otaramarae. Place-getters were: dairy, Mr T. Haeta second, Mr J. Nelson third: sheep and cattle, Mr J. Tahuri second, Mr D. Royal third. Among those present was the Hon. R. Boord.
Kawiu: A deadlock of long standing was ended when a development plan for the Lake Horo-whenua Domain was signed by Maori and European representatives at Kawiu Pa on May 10. In fact, the occasion was a joyful and colourful one, which should lead to harmonious progress in the future. The bed and immediate surrounds of Lake Horowhenua had always been Maori property, while the Domain Board controlled boating on the lake and owned a small piece of land. The agreement reached at the hui will lead to the full development of this recreation area, with lawns, a skating rink, a miniature pa and similar features, by Maori owners and the Domain Board jointly. Among the many visitors were the Rt. Hon. W. Nash, the Hon. E. T. Tirikatene, Mrs I. Ratana, M.P., Mr J. J. Maher, M.P. Chairman of the ceremony was Mr T. W. Ranginui.
Paeroa: The Prime Minister, together with Mrs I. Ratana, M.P., was also a guest at the Pai-o-Hauraki marae at Paeroa on May 23, where he met the people and heard their views about the long-standing claim concerning the Hauraki gold fields. The first petition alleging injustice in the Crown's purchase of mining rights in these gold-fields from 1867 to 1875 was made twenty-three years ago and the people are still anxious to have their claim settled, Mr Nash advised them to prepare a fresh petition.
Rotorua: We end this survey of gatherings at the end of May, with a conference of the Women's Health League in Rotorua. This League is a force for social progress among Maori women in the Rotorua and Gisborne districts. The conference. which was an ordinary annual one, was attended by two Ministers of the Crown, the Hon. Miss M. Howard and the Hon. R. Boord.
Shortly after this hui, Parliament began to sit and the deluge of Maori gatherings began to slow down, leaving many people satisfied and some exhausted.
The Arowhenua Maori School at Temuka in South Canterbury has, for many years, been the only Maori school in the South Island. With the full agreement of the local community it has now been decided that, as from the beginning of next school year, the Arowhenua School should pass into the control of the Canterbury Education Board and become a part of the public primary school system of Canterbury.
NEWS IN BRIEF
A novel feature of the dining hall built recently at Waiohau (near Tekoteko) is a clinic—a side room next to the stage. Here the local doctor, Dr L. E. Spencer of Kawerau, makes regular visits to meet his Waiohau patients. The idea is an excellent one and well worth consideration in the planning of future community halls in isolated districts.
⋆ ⋆ ⋆
The Wai Ohorere Rugby Club, formed recently, has been granted affiliation to the West Coast Rugby Union.
⋆ ⋆ ⋆
At the Whangara Hui Topu last January, old girls of Hukarere College met the principal, Miss Hunter, to form a Hukarere Old Girls' Association. This was done and the following committee elected: President, Mrs S. Kaa; Vice-presidents. Mrs M. Tureia, Gisborne and Mrs H. Ngarimu, Ruatoria; Secretary, Mrs L. Robin, Hastings; Treasurer, Mrs E. Tawhiwhirangi, Ruatoria; Members, Mrs H. Nepia, Tikitiki, Mrs T. Green, Rotorua, Mrs R. Rewa, Nth. Auckland, Mrs R. Baker, Waikato, Mrs B. Collier, Tokomaru Bay and Mrs M. Davies, Taneatua.
The Association decided to raise money for a scholarship tenable at Hukarere by a girl from any part of New Zealand, to be known as the Pilsen scholarship. The building of the swimming baths for Hukarere was also discussed, but no further money is being raised until final estimates are known.
⋆ ⋆ ⋆
Mr W. F. Porter, the new Maori Land Court Judge in the Tokerau district, comes from Wairoa where as a solicitor, he was a vice-president of the Wairoa Rotary Club and the force behind the building of a new home for the Wairoa Old Folks' Association.
⋆ ⋆ ⋆
Pukehina Maori School will not be transferred to Board control, in spite of a majority vote in favour of the change. The Senior Inspector of Maori Schools, Mr K. Robertson has advised the headmaster, Mr T. Reweti, that “in view of the division of opinion I feel that we have not a mandate to effect any changes and it is not proposed to proceed further in the meantime.”
NGARIMU AWARDS FOR THIS YEAR
The Ngarimu V.C. and 28th (Maori) Battalion Memorial Scholarship Fund Board met in Wellington this week, following which the successful Ngarimu scholarship and prize winners were announced.
The Ngarimu Post-Graduate Scholarship has been awarded to Dr Peter W. Tapsell, of Te Tumu, Te Puke.
He was educated at Te Puke and Rotorua High Schools, and completed his medical course at the University of Otago in 1954. Since his graduation, he has worked at Rotorua. Waikato and Dunedin Hospitals and has also spent a year as demonstrator in the Anatomy department of the Medical School, University of Otago.
Dr Tapsell has taken an active part in sport—particularly in rugby football, representing Otago and New Zealand Universities and the Maori All Blacks, being vice-captain of the Maori All Blacks in 1954.
He at present holds the position of surgical registrar at Dunedin Hospital, and proposes to take up his scholarship toward the end of this year, when he will proceed to Great Britain, and attend the Royal College of Surgeons, to study for the fellowship degree of that college.
Other prizes awarded by the Ngarimu Scholarship Board are: Essays in English: Forms I and II—Faith Benny, Opunake Primary School; Forms III and IV—Georgina Manunui, Turakina Maori Girls' College; Eliza Edmonds, Queen Victoria School, Auckland; Forms V and VI—Edward Durie, Te Aute College, Pukehou.
Essays in Maori: Forms I and II—Nan Hariata Kingi, Rotokawa Maori School, Rotorua; Forms III and IV—Loraine M. Smith, Queen Victoria School, Auckland; Forms V and VI—Tukaki Waititi, St. Stephen's School, Auckland.
Ngarimu Secondary School Scholarships: John Apanui, Rerekohu Maori District High School: Genet Campbell, Rerekohu Maori District High School: Maui John Mitchell, Nelson College.
Two Ngarimu University Scholarships were awarded. One goes to Meihana Harold Durie, of Feilding. This student attended Te Aute College. Pukehou, last year and has gone to the University of Otago, where he hopes to study medicine. The other Ngarimu University Scholarship goes to Colin David Mantell, of Dunedin. This student attended Kings High School, Dunedin, last year and is doing a science course at the University of Otago this year.
⋆ ⋆ ⋆
The talented young Maori pianist from Wanganui, Joseph Kumeroa, has gained his A.R.C.M. Diploma at the Royal College of Music, London. Joseph Kumeroa went to London two years ago.
FINE CUT and the new COARSE CUT