Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa Go to Te Ao Hou homepage
No. 19 (August 1957)
– 2 –


Picture icon



The death has occurred in the Waikato hospital of Mrs Francis Paki of Rakaumanga Pa, Huntly. She was the wife of Weteri Paki of the Whawhakia sub-tribe from that area.

Mrs Paki was herself of the Aupouri tribe of Te Kao, Tai Tokerau. She was a Miss Brown Formerly she had been a school teacher.

She was a Justice of Peace, President of the Waikato District Council of the Maori Women's Welfare League, a member of the Board of Governors of Huntly College, and a member of the Rakamanga Tribal Committee.


Mr Norman Farrell Stead, a member of the Maori All Black Team which toured Australia in 1922, and brother of the noted 1905 All Black—“Billie” Stead—died in his sleep at his home at Whangarei in March.

Mr Stead was born at Invercargill where he played for the Star Rugby club. He joined the Bank of New Zealand at Invercargill and retired from the Whangarei branch in 1953.


A member of one of Otaki's best-known families, Mr Maihi Hakaraia, collapsed and died while returning from his job, driving a Ministry of Works truck. The accident occurred at the foot of the Pukehou hill about two miles north of Otaki Railway.

Mr Hakaraia was best known for his welfare church and musical accomplishments. As senior warden to the local tribal committee his part in the outstandingly successful festivities for the restoration of Rangiatea church seven years ago, is remembered by Maoris from the many tribes that attended the hui. Mr Hakaraia continued to carry out the duties attached to that important office in a manner which won great admiration.


Maihi Rangipo Metekingi, tribal elder of Wanganui district, died at his Putiki residence recently at the age of 77 years.

Educated at the Wanganui Collegiate School and at Te Aute College, Mr Metekingi set up in business in Wanganui as a native interpreter. He also controlled farming interests in the Morikau block on the Wanganui river.

Mr Metekingi was the secretary of the first Wanganui Motor-Cycling Club and of the Putiki Tennis Club. The family can boast a connection with the Anglican faith in Wanganui going back 116 years.


Mr Paihana (Sam) Taua, well known throughout the whole of North Auckland died recently at the age of 58.

He was a son-in-law of the late Tau Henare, M.P., and a member of the Ngati Kahu tribe. His tribal home was at Karaponia.

He was a well known officer of the Maori Affairs Department, which he joined in 1928 as Consolidation Officer under Judge Acheson. He retired in 1952.

He was highly respected by both the Maori and pakeha peoples with whom he came in contact.


A tangi was held in the Hokianga for the late Pita Kamira who died in Wellington recently.

Last year Mr Kamira was appointed the first warden in Wellington for the Maori people under the Maori Social and Economic Advancement Act.

Mr Kamira, who was a son Nga Puhi, was a son of the late chief, Himiona Kamira. Mr Kamira spent his youth in the Mitimiti district of the Hokianga, but in recent years had resided with his wife in Wellington.


The death occurred recently of Mrs Kingi Winiata at the age of 65. She was a descendant of the paramount chief Ngai-te-Apatu and a member of the Ngati Kahungunu tribe. Mrs Winiata was the foster-mother of ten children, the best-known of these being Mr John Winiata. The funeral took place at Takitimu, the service being taken by the Bishop of Aotearoa, the Rt. Rev. Panapa.


Pouaru Paratene Broughton, popularly known as Tony Broughton of Waimarama, died on May 25, at the age of 41. He was the only son of Mrs Toko Paratene and the late Mr Paratene Broughton, and was descended from leading chiefs in Hawke's Bay.

– 3 –

He was born in Hastings and educated at the Waimarama Maori School, and was a member of the Ngati Whakaiti and the Ngati Whakaue tribes.

Mr Broughton was interested in all kinds of sports and was an ardent church worker, irrespective of denomination.

He was buried at the Waimarama Maori Cemetery.


Riki Pimihi (Richard Beamish) died at Auckland recently in his 92nd year. He was the eldest and last surviving grandson of the Rev. John Hobbs who established the first Wesleyan Maori mission in the Hokianga and who was well-known for bringing about friendly relations with the Maori people in connection with gaining support for the Treaty of Waitangi.

Riki married Emere Rangitakotokino Makiwhara, niece of Wiremu Te Whero of Waikato. He was well known in the Waikato as a Maori interpreter in the Maori Land Court and other courts, mostly at Mercer and the surrounding district.


The death occurred recently of Mrs Ngakohu Pera of Waioeka Pa, Opotiki. Mrs Pera was formerly Mrs Thomas Shelford of Tikitiki. She was descended from a prominent Ngati Porou family. Among the family who survive her is her son Charlie Shelford, D.C.M., a well known soldier who served with distinction in the Maori Battalion.