Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa Go to Te Ao Hou homepage
No. 6 (Royal Tour)
– 3 –


Picture icon



A chieftainess of the Ngati-Tuwharetoa tribe, and a direct descendent of the great chief Tuwharetoa, Mrs Arihia Savage died recently at Kawerau. She was aged 61.

Mrs Savage was born at Matata, the daughter of Wharepapa Petera, and she was educated at the Queen Victoria Maori Girls' College, Auckland. She married and settled at the Onepu Springs, and became an authority in the district on Maori lore and custom.

In the year before her death Mrs Savage became prominent in land dealings with the Tasman Pulp and Paper Company, and much of her land has been acquired for the news-print mills.


The death occurred at Wellington in September of Mr Henry Dargaville Bennett, who was a brother of the first Bishop of Aotearoa, the late Bishop F. A. Bennett, and for many years a leading citizen of Wellington. He was aged 77.

Mr Bennett was born at Maketu, in the Bay of Plenty. His grandfather, Dr John Bennett, an Irishman, was New Zealand's first Registrar-General. Mr Bennett's mother was of Te Arawa descent.

He was educated at Te Aute College, and began his career as a farmer in the Taihape district. Later, he settled in Wellington and took a prominent part in local body affairs, achieving a position in Wellington business and civic life that had never previously been occupied by a Maori.

Mr Bennett was married twice. There were three sons and three daughters of his first marriage to a chieftainess of the Rangitikei district, and two sons and two daughters of his second marriage, to Miss Wikitoria Amohau Park.


One of the most popular guides at Whakarewarewa, Georgina Te Rauoriwa, died at Rotorua in August. She was 73.

Mrs Te Rauoriwa was a twin daughter of the late William Strew and Mareti Watene, chieftainess of the Ruingarangi and Rauhoto subtribes of the Tuwharetoa, of Taupo.


Mr Matauranga Wikiriwhi, better known as Matt Wickliffe, who was chief guide at the Wairakei thermal valley for many years, died in the Rotorua Hospital, at the age of 48.

Mr Wickliffe's death breaks a link with two of New Zealand's greatest warriors, Hongi Hika and Te Rauparaha, both of whom are to be found on his genealogical tree.

It was Mr Matt Wickliffe's great grandfather, Te Tuahu, who, on Te Rauparaha's request for allies, led a party of Arawa warriors from Rotorua to Kapiti Island. Te Tuahu fought with Te Rauparaha at Kaiapoi, and later directed the construction of the Rangiatea Church at Otaki.


Mr Matiu Pura Logan, well-known in Hawke's Bay where he farmed extensively, and took a prominent part in Maori affairs, has died at the age of 60.

Mr Logan attended Te Aute College and, in his youth, he was a very good all-round athlete. He represented Hawke's Bay at Rugby as a five-eighth when only 16. Later, he became a member of the Hawke's Bay Rugby Referees' Association; and he was also a provincial tennis champion and a keen golfer.

Mr Logan was enthusiastic in promoting any movement leading to the advancement of the Maori people, particularly in connection with education and Church affairs.


The death occurred recently of a well-known personality in the Gisborne district, Mrs Ripeka Halbert, the last survivor of a group of women who had a great influence in religious and social work for the Maori race. She was 88.

Mrs Halbert was a daughter of the well-known chief Wi Paraone. She was a staunch worker for the Church of England, and was a second mother to students at Te Rau Theological College, Gisborne. During the First World War she helped Lady Carroll to care for Maori soldiers both at home and abroad.