Go to National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa Go to Te Ao Hou homepage
No 3. (Summer 1953)
– 26 –

HEIRLOOMS OF
TURANGAWAEWAE

Picture icon

This small collection includes just a few of the objects, many of them priceless, that are kept at Mahinarangi.
1. Kiwi cloak, brought to Ngaruawahia on the occasion of the tangi for Rima Wakaiua, Taranaki
2 Kahu kura which belonged to Potatau 1.
3 Originally a Kaitaka, belonging to Rewi Maniapoto: very old, but with thrums of dogs' hair added at a later date

4 Top: Piece of lava rock sent by the people of Rai'atea, at the opening of Mahinarangi. This piece of rock comes from Taputapuaitea, the most sacred of maraes. Left: Piece of lava rock of same nature as above; from the first altar erected by Hoturoa at Maketa (Kawhia). Below: Carving mallet found recently in a swamp.
5 Remains from a house Te Rauparaha built near Mokau. Just below that: The oldest taiaha at Ngaruawahia, called Te Pipiwharauroa. It has a long and illustrious history, and was presented to Waikato by Ngapuhi on the occasion of the peace between Ngapuhi and Waikato in the eighteen-twenties. The ceremonial adze lying over it was given to King Koroki by the last wish of Mita Taupopoki, the famous orator and a leader of Te Arawa.