- Te reo Māori in Te Ao Hou (including macrons)
- Technical requirements
- Need more help?
You can perform a simple search by typing keywords into the search box at the top of the screen and clicking [GO]. The search engine will find any records that include all of your search terms.
You can search for an exact phrase by placing quotation marks around your search terms.
The Advanced Search screen allows you to:
- Search only within a specific field such as Author, Title and Iwi
- Limit your search to articles in te reo Māori or to articles in English
Getting too many results or no results
If you get too many results, you can:
- use a more specific word to describe what you are looking for - try rugby rather than sport
- add more search terms - women politics will get narrower results than women on its own
- try searching for a phrase using double quote marks " " such as Author, Title and Iwi
- use the Advanced Search to limit your search to specific fields
If your search returns no results, you can:
- try truncating your search term using * at the end of a word - e.g. poet* will find poet, poets and poetry
- revise your search to something more general - try bird rather than kiwi
- try different terminology, e.g. buildings as well as architecture, or cars as well as automobiles
Te reo Māori in Te Ao Hou (including macrons)
The National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa supports the correct use of the Māori language and in particular the Māori Language Commission guideline that macrons be used in Māori words where appropriate.
All text that has been written or translated specifically for this website uses uses macrons to signify the length of Māori vowels. However, the site also contains text reprinted from Te Ao Hou (1952-76) and from the Oxford Companion to New Zealand Literature: this content is reprinted exactly as in the original texts and may not utilise macrons.
More information about the National Library's use of macrons:
There are no special technical requirements for this site. You only need a standard web browser to search and browse the issues of Te Ao Hou.
Need more help?
If you can't find what you are looking for, let us know. Contact form